Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Shiny and Delicious Frosting

Hello friends.

Well, it's been awhile since I've been over here at the cake spot. I've been busy waddling around gestating and laboring and feeding a newborn. And now I'm back. Or at least as "back" as you can be with a 6 week old baby.

I'm making a cake for a friend's birthday party! I'm making a princess cake, and 100 cupcakes. That is a LOT of cupcakes.
So, I'd like to share with you a new frosting recipe that will save you tons of time next time you become temporarily insane and agree to make 100 cupcakes.

Seven Minute Frosting

Place in top of double boiler:

(Don't have a double boiler? Neither do I. Just hold a saucepan over a larger pan of boiling water, but not touching the water.)

2 unbeaten egg whites
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/3 cup cold water
Dash of salt

Beat for 1 minute at low speed. Cook, beating constantly, till frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Don’t overcook. Remove from heat. Add:

1 teaspoon vanilla (use clear vanilla if you are leaving it white) Add coloring, if desired.

Beat till of spreading consistency, about 2 minutes.

Recipe by Joyce


Just dip each cupcake in the icing, and turn right side up to get a nice curly icing top. Wa-lah!

6 comments:

Joyce said...

Yeah!! The frosting worked. The cupcakes look so great with the curly cue and sprinkles. And the best thing about the frosting is --- they are FAT FREE!!

Rhonda said...

Yum- the cupcakes look delicious. 100 is a lot!! Good luck with that! Make sure you take pictures.

Leslie said...

those look great. i have a major cupcake weakness!

and i'm friends with your mom. :)

Jen said...

I love that frosting. Especially on a devil's chocolate cake with chocolate drizzled over little white peaks. It's just so pretty.

Michelle said...

Ok Gina, I failed on this one. My frosting never formed peaks! I beat and beat and beat it and it only ended up coming to sticky marshmallow goo. It tasted yummy, but it wasn't too enjoyable to eat b/c it was so sticky. Any ideas to what I did wrong or how I can get it to the right consistency?

Gina said...

Michelle, that happened the first time I tried!
I had gotten a teensy bit of yolk in and thought it was no big deal. Apparently it's critical to have the recipe just perfect. ....I'm not sure what else may have gone wrong.
Be brave and try it again!
You should see it start to thicken at least after the first 4-5 minutes.
Good luck!